For Maverick Users
Open Terminal and enter the following.
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ilap/lwp
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install compiz-plugins-livewallpapers
Via OMG! Ubuntu
For Other Users
Unfortunately, the PPA is only for Maverick users and the author claims that it won't work for systems than Maverick. But I tried the Plugin on Linux Mint 9 which is based on Lucid and it worked, though I've not tried other systems. You have to just download the deb installer and doubleclick it to install.
Download the appropriate package for your system here.
Enable the Wallpaper
- Right click on the Desktop and choose ‘Change Desktop Background‘
- Press the “Add" button
- Navigate to "/usr/share/backgrounds"
- Select ‘Space_by_ilap.jpg’
- Now enable the "Galaxy Live Wallpaper" plugin via the CompizConfig Settings Manager
- Toggle the live galaxy effect by pressing the "Super (Windows logo button) + F4” keys.